There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, 17 October 2013

Paint stripping figures with Dettol

While waiting for my figures I thought I would share this great method of removing paint from old metal figures.
(I have yet to try it on plastic).
First buy some Dettol disinfectant. It must be DETTOL and the neat Dettol not the pine variety.
Remove figures from card/wood bases soaking in warm water helps this.
Find a plastic container with a lid like an ice cream tub.
Lay figures flat in the box.
Pour over Dettol
Put lid on box. It pongs! I put mine near an open window.
Leave over night.
And before your very eyes the paint falls off!

Now wear rubber gloves or those plastic throw away variety. Believe me Dettol BURNS!
Use an old toothbrush under a running cold tap to remove the sludge.
Repeat the process if necessary.

1 comment:

  1. I have used Dettol to good effect and your right about being careful.

    I tried it against oven cleaner and it beat the oven cleaner into a box. I found it worked on plastics as well

    Ian

    ReplyDelete